Monday, May 7, 2012

Unreasonably Happy - Part II

As part of a continuing list, here are a few more things that make me "unreasonably happy". This means, of course, that they inspire a level of happiness that is completely disproportional to the things themselves. Everyone's entitled to a few joyful moments that make others go, "Really?"

90's Pop

Having only been alive for eleven months of the 80's, I can't help but have a special affinity for 90's music. Pin-ups lined my bedroom like homemade wallpaper. It was all I knew as a kid and boy, was it a match made in heaven. What goes better with braces, glasses, overalls and Beanie Babies than a solid helping of bubble gum pop? And to quote a wise prairie dog by the name of Timon: "Ain't no passing craze." I was absolutely sure that these boy bands were here to stay. In fifty years, the Backstreet Boys would certainly be honored for their groundbreaking contributions to music. N*Sync's concerto "Bye Bye Bye" would be discussed among other lesser masterpieces like Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 and Pachelbel's Canon in D. Spice World on cassette tape would be archived in a national time capsule to preserve its genius. And the poignant lyrics laced through the verses of "MmmBop" would be recorded so future generations could remember the beauty of the late 20th century.


 In the years since then, I've gained some life experience (and common sense). And while I may have exaggerated how cherished and timeless these artists were, I love them just the same. Literally, the exact same amount I did when I was ten. I transform into a giddy schoolgirl when a boy band shows up in my iPod shuffle. My best friend and I saw the Spice Girls reunion tour, and I consider it one of the best nights of my life. Long live 90's pop.




Something That Happened Several Hours/Days/Months/Years Ago

Funny things happen all the time. Inside jokes are created, memories are made, and the moment's over. But I have this ability to replay those moments like video clips stuck on repeat. Sometimes it just happened; other times, it's been twelve hours and everyone else has long since forgotten. But I'll be that one idiot, giggling to myself about it in the corner. My friend will often catch me chuckling and go, "Okay, what happened when we were eight?" Whatever it was, it's certainly doesn't warrant a giggle fest in a college lecture hall. This much I know.


Doing Nothing

I know a handful of people who are fundamentally against this concept. Their daily schedules are packed; their to-do lists are full; they have places to go and people to see. To each her own, but if I didn't have some time to relax and recharge every day, I would genuinely start to break down. I'm vaguely aware of people bustling around me 24/7, but that lifestyle's not for me. (I will never move to NYC.)

Sometimes I pretend to have boundless energy. When I was 10, I dressed up as the Energizer Bunny for Halloween (pink footy pajamas, hat box with suspenders, sunglasses). I tried to play the part, but by the end of the night I think they found me at the park collapsed in a pile of Almond Joys. Don't get me wrong; I'm not a hermit. I love going out and spending time with awesome people. But at some point, a girl just has to vedge out and watch an episode of Arrested Development. I am happiest and most content when I have no responsibilities or commitments in the near future and I can just be.

Oh, and eating a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment